Road trip to Vienna

Kimberly

This summer I went on a road trip through Germany and Austria. This blogpost is all about my visit to Vienna. The city of Jugendstil, the city where people like Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele, Koloman Moser and many more came together to create some timeless pieces of art.

I always try to see the best in every city that I visit and Vienna is one of those cities that I wouldn't mind living in. The neighbourhood that we stayed in, felt a bit like home, like Brussels.
 


We spend three days here. The tram network is great, there is this one tram that rides along all the big touristy (but very gorgeous architecture) places, so it was very easy to just hop on the tram and ride along without knowing where you want to get off exactly. We went past the parlement so we hopped off and felt like little ants whilst admiring this beautiful and monumental piece of architecture. 
  



The next day we found ourselves at the Maria-Theresian-Platz, where these gigantic neo-baroque buildings are located. These are the Kunsthistorisches museum and the Naturhistorisches museum. I already visited the Kunsthistorisches museum a few years ago so we went to the Naturhistorisches museum instead. This museum has a huge collection of different life forms and things formed by nature. I love the fact that it still has such an old vibe. It's a place where it looks like the time has stopped. A few of the labels are even faded away. I do love it here. 

Naturhistorisches Museum 


When you eventually cross the road you find yourself at the Museumquartier.The museum that's build here and that keeps pulling me back is the Leopoldmuseum

This museum is filled with works of two of my all time favourite artists Egon Schiele and Gustav Klimt. First time I came in contact with their work was in high school, I was studying art at the time and they helped developed my own style. I fell in love with the way Schiele transfers his confident lines on his canvas and how Klimt uses his colours and patterns.
 





 Egon Schiele






Gustav Klimt 








 Egon Schiele





  Egon Schiele





  Egon Schiele


Other museums that are worth visiting are The Belvedere and The Albertina, to name just two. 

It's the second time that I visited Vienna and it won't be the last.


_____

Kimberly


1 reacties:

  1. Vienna seems great! I found a link to this blog on the instagram account of one of you and I'm really liking it so far. I'm not an art history student (literature and linguistics it is), but nevertheless musea are my all time favorite places on earth.

    ReplyDelete

 

Céline

Kimberly

Meltem