24 hours in Berlin

Céline


My boyfriend moved temporarily to Berlin for an Internship, so I thought it would be a fun thing to do to register my visits and my art encounters and make a series out of it.

The first weekend I visited I did all the major touristy stuff just because you know, you have to. So that is what I’m going to share with you in this post, in the future I’ll try to share stuff that is less touristic. Another thing I should mention is that Berlin isn't my favourite city, so I really hope I’ll change my mind when getting to know it better.



So when you have one day to visit Berlin, what do you do? First off you try to figure out the whole public transportsystem. When you did that after taking the wrong s-bahn or u-bahn or whatever you should have taken, you will finally find yourself in front of the Brandenburg gate surrounded by an incredible amount of tourists with selfiesticks (me included). 

The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe

We then walked to the Reichstag just to realise that you have to make reservations online to go inside. Our next stop was the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, designed by Peter Eisenman and Bruno Happold. This was actually way more impressive than I thought it would be, it was designed to create this confusing atmosphere and it certainly works. I think it’s such a great work in all its simplicity.

Pergamon museum 

Next stop was the topography of terror and lunch at the Alexanderplatz next to the alien looking fernsehturm. Now comes my favourite part of the day! Museum time, I choose to go to the Pergamon museum that has an impressive (although we didn't get to see half of the collection because of constructions) collection of art from the ancient near east and islamic art. I've always been in love with the mesopotamian art and stories of their heroes etc. They also had a great sense of fashion, their jewels are the most beautiful things. The most impressive thing of course has to be the Ishtar gate, sadly there were reconstructions going on and we were not able to see it completely.

Ishtar-gate in Pergamon museum 


 Pergamon museum 
Ishtar-gate in Pergamon museum 

Stay tuned for more updates of my visits!

_____

Céline


0 reacties:

Feel free to leave a comment

 

Céline

Kimberly

Meltem