A hidden gem in Brussels : Wiertzmuseum

Kimberly


Brussels has a lot to offer. There's this part where you only see middle aged businesspeople with suits and briefcases. With buildings almost all constructed out of glass. As you walk along and a few streets further, you see this entree gate. It doesn't seem to be anything special. As soon as you walk in you get confronted with a little white house where a great Belgian artist used to live.

It is the elderly home of Antoine Wiertz. A man that got his own house converted into a museum. I've visited this museum a few times now but I wish I had more time for more visits. First time visiting this museum I entered the gate, walked up the stairs and something that I wasn't expecting happened.

You walk through this creaking door, you enter a little hall and you get greeted by the staff. Once you look to your right you'll see two grand wooden doors that lead you to this gigantic room with monumental paintings.

First time that I walked in my jaw just dropped. I couldn't say a thing. It truly is breathtaking walking into that room. You just walk in and immediately get that overwhelming feeling.




It might be hard to know where to look first but I just let my eyes wander around. I could spend hours in this room. So much to see, so much to learn, so much to admire.

Wiertz his work has a grand sense of dynamic. His paintings aren't snapshots of events, but they seem to be still moving. I could spend hours in front of his work, especially the monumental paintings. There's so much to see, so much to discover, every little details needs to be observed.



On the one hand it's sad that not many people visit this museum, but on the other hand I am glad that it isn't overrun by tourists and people that just want to get some likes on social media because of all the popular things they visited. I like the fact that when I'm not feeling well, I can go here and be at ease. Just let go of my worries and feast my eyes on this beauty.

If you need some more motivation to plan a visit, I can tell you that it's free. Not a single euro has to be spend and you could spend hours there.


Wiertzmuseum truly is a hidden gem in Brussels.



_____


Kimberly

0 reacties:

Feel free to leave a comment

 

Céline

Kimberly

Meltem